I Have Decided



Decisions, Decisions

Every day we face a myriad of decisions: when to rise, what to eat, when to eat, what to wear, how to stretch our budget, how to spend our time, and the list goes on and on. While many day-to-day decisions have no lasting impact, some decisions have the power to change the course of our life. I'd like to talk about two that have transformed my life--one physical and one spiritual.  

The physical decision that most impacted my life took place in June 2020.  It was still fairly early days in the COVID pandemic, and with all the extra time at home, I had ample time to contemplate all the ways I wanted to improve my life.  At the top of that list was the area of health.  My obesity had put me at greater risk for issues like diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer, but it also made me a high risk should I contract COVID.

I had to choose between burying myself in self-pity and self-loathing or deciding to make some changes. I am so glad that I decided to take those first steps! With 90 pounds behind me, that was one of the best decisions I ever made. And because I don't want anyone else to suffer as I did, or face the uncertainty of a future health crisis due to obesity, I'm passionate about helping others get healthy also. My healthy changes led to my husband's healthy changes which thas rippled out to healthier eating for my whole family. 

I Have Decided

But even more important than my decision to get physically healthy was a decision I made much earlier in life that impacted my spiritual health. When I was a child, my father attended training that instructed laypeople on how to share their faith.  At the age of 8 or 9, I recall being one of his guinea pigs as he asked me two questions. The first was if I were to die that night, did I know for sure I would be with God in heaven, and the second question was, "If God were to ask you, 'Why should I let you into My Heaven?' what would you say?" My father told me that many people he talked to gave one of the following answers:

  • I've tried to live a good life
  • I have served in the church or community
  • I go to church every Sunday
My father explained that all of those answers were man's efforts to earn his salvation. But just as an attempt to leap across the Grand Canyon would never get anyone safely across, our own efforts to reach God can never be enough to bridge the chasm between a perfect God and sinful man. In our own strength, it's just not possible.  As a child, I wanted the assurance that I would spend eternity with God and decided at that time to ask Christ to forgive my sins and come into my life and save me.

Deciding to Share

When we find a great restaurant or clothing deal, do we think twice about passing along a recommendation to a friend?  If we find a location for cheap gasoline, we post on Instagram or send out a tweet--we want the world to know about our great discovery. We share testimonials about appliances, hair products, childcare, schools, colleges, and everything else under the sun.  Why in the world would we shrink from telling others about a loving Creator who sent His Son to die in our place to secure eternal life in heaven with Him?

If a 100% fool-proof cure was discovered for COVID-19, wouldn't we all be shouting it from the mountaintops?  Sin is far deadlier, and the Bible has already explained the cure for it, but we stay silent. We fear what others think of us or worry about offending others--all while people are dying in their sin. If you saw someone stepping into the path of a car, wouldn't you seek to grab them from certain death or call out a warning to them? People are on the path to destruction and we think only of ourselves. 

Our church has been trying to encourage people to be more intentional in sharing Christ with others.  To help do that, a t-shirt was designed with "I Have Decided" on the front (shown above) and was distributed to anyone willing to wear it and explain what decision it referred to when asked. Sounds a lot like Paul's admonishment to believers in 1 Peter 3:15,

"[I]n your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect." (ESV)

But we shouldn't need a shirt to remind us to share the hope that is in us.  Christ should be radiating out from our life and making it obvious to those around us what we have decided. In this week leading up to Easter, let's remember that every person we interact with is a divine appointment. We may not always have opportunities to share a clear explanation of the Gospel, but we can be the fragrance of Christ in the world--sharing honestly about what God is doing in our lives, offering to pray for others, and whenever possible, explaining to others how they can know God personally. In situations where we may not be free to share, we are always at liberty to pray for those we interact with and pray for future opportunities for them to hear the Good News.

Decisions can alter the course of our lives but only trusting in Christ alters the course of eternity. While I love helping others journey to better health, more than anything, I'd love for you to decide to follow Jesus. Don't miss out on the one decision in life that matters more than anything else.  

I have decided. Have you?

*************


Additional Resources

Stream "The Chosen" series

Watch the Jesus Film

Steps to Peace with God

How to Share the Gospel




Comments